Friday, March 4, 2011

Janet Will Be Missed


I've been privileged to be at my mother's side this past week as streams of family and friends have called to pay their respects, to tell this amazing woman what she has meant to them.


Mom didn't want to be sick. She wanted to live life to the fullest, then just die. She was a no-nonsense woman, and that was the most practical way to approach the end of a productive life. While she didn't die as quickly as she would have liked, she also did not linger, and she was never in pain. Her final days were spent listening to people tell her how great she was (she noted that she was starting to get cocky from all the wonderful comments), then she quickly moved on.


She died the way she lived - with a grace and humor.


To those who called, wrote and dropped by, we thank you for making her final days very meaningful. We deeply apologize to those who wished to visit at the end when she had lost strength and were unable to do so. We want you to know we shared with her that you called and your wish to visit meant a great deal to her.


To everyone who has and will be leaving a comment on this blog, we thank you. Mom was a unique and special woman and your stories and tributes are greatly appreciated.


Again, we will remind everyone of the celebration of life which we will hold this summer at the park in Oswego. We hope you will attend.


Karyn Carpenter

4 comments:

  1. Sara Sunquist QuackenbushMarch 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM

    I had no idea Janet was doing poorly. Last time I talked to her she sounded great and like her cancer was no big deal, just inconvenient. I am so sorry that I was not there to tell her how much she meant to me in my life. All through my life she encouraged me and gave me a different view of myself that I often desperately needed. Life just seemed far more fun and less stressful when I was with Aunt Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny Johnston RousseauMarch 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM

    I am so very sorry to learn of Janet's recent death. She was in my life for many years as a Girl Scout leader, librarian, photographer and mother of one of my oldest friends. Janet exemplified class even when we hiked in the woods as Girl Scouts.

    I wonder how she had the patience to take all of those class photos without killing the ornery kids who didn't stand still long enough to say "cheese"?

    She was a role model to many who grew up in Oswego and her smile was contagious. Even though she's gone now, her memory will live on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John "Rusty" ClineMarch 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM

    I remember that Mrs. Carpenter always let me hang out at the library when I sold the Grit newspaper. If it was too hot or too cold outside or if I was just bored, I could always come into the library and talk to her. When I read all the books I liked in the library, she would order books from inter-library loan for me. She encouraged me to read, a habit I have kept to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to here about Janet's passing, She cared about Oswego, She was beautiful inside and out, I remember her from church and she was at most community activites. My Father Larry Holtz admired her faith in God and had mentioned it to me before. When we first moved to town I always confused your mother and Mrs Braley at church. From the back they looked alot alike, both were pillers of the community, and both have left us to be with thier maker. I hope I will get to be home for her celebration of life this summer.

    ReplyDelete